Friday, February 10, 2012

Y6 MultiWiiCopter: Part II - The Gimbal

This is my journal of the Y6 MultiWiiCopter build process. I do not claim to be a technical writer, nor an expert of advanced model engineering, and my goal for this blog post is to post images of my copter through construction and attach some notes of my successes and failures along the way, in hopes of helping others as they put together their copters. Please use my techniques and decisions at your own risk.

Having had experience building many different camera gimbals for use within my Kite Aerial Photography rigs, I was excited to put this one together. The concept is that a secondary PARIS controller board is used to control the gimbal to help keep the video stable while in flight. The parts match the color of the rest of the Y6 copter, and are machined with the same detail. I got both the APS-C Mirrorless camera mount, as well as the GoPro housing pivot mount.

I personally do not own a pair of calipers to exactly measure the 28.01mm gap between the bearings. Having a vice along with a rubber mallet was essential to getting the appropriate distance correct, and took a few times moving the bearings each way slightly to get it perfect.

I used the boom holder to test the shaft assembly and the fit. The instructions say to have a 0.5mm gap on the inner sides between the bearings and the shaft assembly, and this is how I tweaked the distance between the 2 bearings correctly.

The servo didn't quite fit into the carbon fiber bracket, and used a dremel and file to shave off some material.

The corners around the servo flange need to be reduced to allow the pan heads to sit flush. I used a dremel tool to grind down the corners appropriately. (Maybe a touch too much)

Here is the servo mounted to the carbon fiber plate, which is mounted to the boom holder which is surrounding the shaft assembly. Then the servo arm with ball joints are attached.

Here is the final gimbal with the APS-C Camera mount.

Here is a test fitting of the gimbal to the deck of the Scarab with the GoPro mount.

Here is the GoPro mount.

The shaft for the GoPro mount is shorter than the staft for the APS-C Camera platform mount, and there really isn't a good way to exchange these without taking the entire copter apart. I decided to use the longer shaft for both, and use a set screw on the top to make an easy way to switch back and forth in the field. I just drilled a small hole through the shaft and each of the different mounts. Here is the gimbal attached after the copter has been completed, adn you can see the set screw in the red aluminum arm.

Here is the GoPro attached. You can see the camera tray along with the 1/4" knob that I use to attach the camera. They can be found here. (Brooxes better camera keeper)

No comments:

Post a Comment