I had recently upgraded my Remote Control hardware use the Aurora 9 Transmitter and Optima receivers specifically for my Y6 Scarab MultiWiiCopter project, and decided to include using this with my Kite Aerial Photography Rig. 2011 was a year where I used my AutoKap rig 90% of the time, with the only session I can remember using my remote control rig was for the WWKAP Banner project. I wanted to get back to using RC, so I bought a 6 channel Optima Receiver and updated my Brooxes deluxe KAP kit.
Wednesday, March 28, 2012
The Y6 MultiWiiCopter build was exciting, but quickly realized that I needed a method of protecting my new copter and keeping it safe while transporting it. I did some quick searching on Google, and didn't really find anything that would work, so I decided to build my own case. I found a site called Reliable Hardware, that sells all the parts you'd ever need to build a road case. Although it was a bit more than I'd hope to spend, I know that this solution will provide a protective shell for my copter, and hopefully carry the transmitter, batteries, and cameras too.
Besides the foam, the only other thing that I needed to pick up was 1/8" plywood from the local home improvement store. All of the parts that I bought are cut to fit the 1/8" plywood, and wanted to keep the weight down as much as possible, and believe that this should be sufficient. I will be adhering ABS Laminate to the outside, which will enhance the look of the case.
Saturday, March 10, 2012
The MultiWiiCopter site has the recommendations for these settings posted on their wiki. I really had to tweak my YAW settings, as I was not able to get the copter to ARM and DISARM gracefully. I tested each setting in the sub-trim menu for RUDD: and set to -13, which was the best I could find. Disarming is not always immediate.
65 degrees (F) in Wisconsin in March is rare, so I couldn't resist taking my new copter out for it's first test flight. It was much windier that I had hoped for, but couldn't wait any longer. All my Lipo's were charged, and I ventured out to find a spot where I would kill anyone if something went wrong. I also decided that putting the GoPro HD Hero 2 on the front would be a risk I was willing to take, whereas originally I was going to fly without the camera. I thought I would keep the copter low enough initially to keep the equipment safe.
Props were balanced using tape. I'm not going to try to explain this here, as Google is your friend in finding better instructionals for balancing props.